Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mud Oven War

Yes, I'm doing it again.
Three years ago I decided to make a mud oven for pizza, bread, pies, you name it. I had Kiko Denzer's book with all the instructions and all the good will to get dirty. As a ceramist I thought it would be a great project, so I made the foundation, lay the bricks, collected clay from construction sites, and got a nice sun tan. After several days I had my pizza oven. Before I started using it I made it a shelter, and then a nice stone like floor made with concrete around the oven's foundation. It was beautiful. Everything was beautiful, so let's bake... it was then when I started getting into trouble. The fire would not stay long enough to heat the oven. I got a half baked pizza after an hour and finished it in my kitchen oven. Frustration... I tried again and again until the oven was declared the most beautiful sculpture our garden ever had.
Winter came and a severe snow storm destroyed my "garden sculpture". Spring follows and a new oven with new expectation arrived. I made a beautiful sand mold with a round top. I was very careful with the opening. But this time, I decided to try it before going on with insulation and decoration, two extra layers. I guess I was too excited and lit the fire inside before the top was completely dry, so POP goes the top of the oven, it exploded! I cover the "thing" and wait until now, the third spring. I promised my family this time is the last time. They doubt... me too, but anyway, today I destroyed the popped oven, recycled the clay, lay the bricks again and a new expectation was born. Maybe that is what spring is for, new expectations, rebirth, stubbornness... Tomorrow I'll make the sand form to shape the void of the oven and with luck I'll remix the clay and start the oven's first layer. Good luck to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment